About The CompanyAt Frontier Cooperative, our vision is “Leading the way to develop generational success.” Due to our unique structure, we benefit from having farmers as customers, employees, neighbors, family members, friends, board members, owners, and residents of the communities we serve. We feel that farmers and the cooperative system are special, and we strive to be the model for what the future of agricultural cooperatives look like for future generations. We also feel it’s crucial to set the example for how to successfully bring multiple (vastly different) generations together, facilitating conversations, providing resources, promoting growth and advocating for change. That is a big vision, where would an organization even start on something like that? It begins by creating opportunities, which is one of our Core Values at Frontier Cooperative. Our Internship Program is designed to do exactly that. It’s an opportunity for a student to learn and experience our business units and understand why each is necessary for Frontier to be successful.
This role will support the Frontier agronomy business unit and assist with assigned projects. The agronomy intern will work closely with the local Frontier Ag Advisor on agronomy activities and other assigned duties relating to agronomy sales. The selected candidate will help prepare and deliver orders of fertilizer, chemical, and seed to growers. The candidate will spend time learning the process of how and why seed is treated, and how to operate a seed facility. He or she will perform crop scouting activities such as weed, insect, and disease identification along with tissue and soil sampling. This person will spend time learning how product is applied to fields and help operate Frontier’s aerial hanger during fungicide application season. This position requires time spent building customer relationships, such as helping with in-season grower events (Answer Plots) and working with growers on their farm plans and farm research/trials. As the agronomy intern, the candidate will have the opportunity to learn, understand, and help promote Frontier’s Ultimate Acre System, which is systems approach proprietary to Frontier. This system ties all our business units together with the farm plan created by our ag advisors who receive year-round training about the system.
- An interest in pursuing a degree in an agricultural-related field
- Ability to learn and navigate through Frontier’s digital platforms including but not limited to: R7 Tool, NutriSolutions Climate FieldView and FieldAlytics
- Progressive mindset toward ag technology and the advancement of agriculture
- Organizational skills, multi-tasking skills, ability to collaborate with a team, as well as work on projects solo
- Attention to detail and ability to take detailed notes
- Excellent communication skills (writing, polished verbal communication skills)
- A willingness to spend time learning about the cooperative system and each of the business units of Frontier Cooperative
- Flexibility to work outside of regular office hours if necessary or when possible
- The ability to work in a professional office environment
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to travel within our business footprint
- Organizational and time management skills
- Ability to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, adversity, and constant change