About The CompanyAt Frontier Cooperative, our vision is “Leading the way to develop generational success.” Due to our unique structure, we benefit from having farmers as customers, employees, neighbors, family members, friends, board members, owners, and residents of the communities we serve. We feel that farmers and the cooperative system are special, and we strive to be the model for what the future of agricultural cooperatives look like for future generations. We also feel it’s crucial to set the example for how to successfully bring multiple (vastly different) generations together, facilitating conversations, providing resources, promoting growth and advocating for change. That is a big vision, where would an organization even start on something like that? It begins by creating opportunities, which is one of our Core Values at Frontier Cooperative. Our Internship Program is designed to do exactly that. It’s an opportunity for a student to learn and experience our business units and understand why each is necessary for Frontier to be successful.
The Position:This role will support operations, safety training, identify/correct major safety issues, and perform duties associated with all of Frontier’s business units. The Operations Intern will work closely with his or her mentor to understand what products are applied to fields, the techniques utilized and how we support the farmers with other products and services. The intern would learn how to assist the advisors to ensure orders are correct and that customers’ needs are met. This intern may operate a sprayer applying pesticides and fertilizers on fields as well as maintaining the grain and agronomy equipment.
The selected candidate will work on various fabrication projects and procurement of bids for material/labor, as well as assist with truck scale operation. This person may have the opportunity to operate and maintain other various pieces of heavy machines i.e., skid loaders, wheel loaders, and tractors. The candidate will also help clean and load trucks and dump areas when needed.
This intern will be around the mixing and loading of crop production products/plant nutrients. They could mix load and deliver bulk packaged material, seed, and other agriculture input. The intern also follows up on weed control in sprayed areas and takes soil samples when needed.
This position requires time spent completing safety paperwork, maintaining safe working environments, and participating in financial training and safety training in all business units. As the Operations Intern, the candidate will learn to read basic blueprints/schematics/layouts for new equipment and facilities and have the opportunity to spend time learning how product is applied to the growers’ fields, while helping operate Frontier Coop’s Aerial Hanger during fungicide application season.
- An interest in Agriculture and/or Business
- A willingness to spend time learning about each business unit of Frontier Cooperative
- An above basic knowledge and experience with technology 9i.e., Microsoft Office Suite)
- Flexibility to work overtime when possible, with the understanding that as an intern there are some things that are a priority above your time at Frontier
- Ability to repetitively bend, kneel and walk long distances while working in a non-climate-controlled environment and outside in inclement weather
- The ability to work in a professional office environment is also necessary
- Valid Driver’s License
- Willing to get Class B CDL with HazMat endorsement
- Mechanical aptitude and the ability to use hand/power tools
- Ability to work in confined spaces or at heights above ground level
- Ability to speak in front of small groups
- Ability to learn technology associated with each business unit including but not limited to: FieldAlytics, grain bin quality control software, Energy Force,and Feed Mill controls.
- Organization and time management skills
- Mustbe collaborative, results-oriented and possess strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity, adversity, and constant change
- Analytical problem-solving skills
- Ability to travel within our business footprint